Monday, September 5, 2016

Wow, Not Really Quite Sure Where This Last Month Went!

Trondheim docks

September 5, 2016

Dear Family & Friends,

Wow. I'm not really quite sure where this last month went. It kind of just happened. And now it's September... Hmmm... I don't really quite know what to think about that. A weird moment I had this week was when I realized that I'd be going home in 9 months. That was pretty weird. All I can say is time just keeps going faster and faster. Honestly, I hope that life doesn't keep on accelerating like it is.

Well, such is life in the Northern part of the world, that when this time of year rolls around, the sun finally sets. Yes, it's been setting for a month or something like that, but it's finally getting dark. Like legitimately dark. You know it's not bright outside when the street lamps actually start making a difference.

Northern Lights (proof I saw them, I got pics)

Although, now it's especially. I know that because the Northern lights finally started coming out again!!! YAY! Sadly though, Northern lights come at a price, it means Winter is coming, and with that, the Winter coats start getting brought out, and all of a sudden, heaters are getting switched on, and all you want to do is just curl up in your dyne (I believe in States it'd be called a duvet or something like that. Basically the most comfortable blanket/comforter/wonderfulness thing to sleep in). But yes, Northern lights came out, and that was so fun to see them again. I had started to miss them, and now they're back! :D
Elder Mickelson and Elder Broadbent


I flew down to Trondheim for splits this week. Soooooo much fun getting to go back. I hadn't been in Trondheim for almost a year, so it was pretty fun to go back and see it all again. I had a lot of fun, I was with Elder Broadbent, and we had a blast on splits! (Don't worry, I took some pictures of it. And yes, I'm in some of them haha).

Other than that, this was a pretty normal week, not too much out of the ordinary. Still finding people and meeting with others, so that's been pretty great!

My thought this week comes from the sunday school lesson we had yesterday. It was about the 2,000 stripling warriors. Long story short, they were a bunch of young men that took up arms to defend their families, land, freedoms, and beliefs against a bunch of unrighteous people which desired to kill them. In Alma 56:47-48, it says,

"47 ...yea, they had been taught by their mothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them.

48 And they rehearsed unto me the words of their mothers, saying: We do not doubt our mothers knew it."

What really impressed me was their faith in God. But they had been taught from when they were born to follow God, to be a good, righteous people, and to stay close to God. But they're mothers helped them along the way to learn between right and wrong. These sons, they knew without a doubt that their mothers had such a strong faith in God. That it was more than a hope, or a whimsical wish, but a complete belief and a knowledge of the things of God.
When the button on your 
keyboard looks like it's crying


Their mothers were probably the greatest examples they had in their lives. They were directed to always do good because that it is what they were taught. So it made me think about the examples we have in our lives. We all have people that direct us to do good, that encourage us to be good people, and follow God. And that is something I'm grateful for, are those examples in my life. I think at the same time, even though we have examples to look up to, we also can be that example for others, and help them continue to become better people. We should all just try and support each other to always be doing good and kind things. I believe that would make more of a difference in our lives, and the lives around us than we normally think it would.

Well I hope all of you have a great week! Take care!

Sincerely,

Elder Mickelson
Old part of Trondheim (way cool with the houses over that water and stuff)

Me, Elder Mickelson

More of the old part of Trondheim

Nidaros Cathedral in the background of the river casually floating through the city


No comments:

Post a Comment