Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Santa Claus Came To Town!

Our pile of presents this year (All fantastic by the way)
December 28, 2015

Dear Family & Friends,

Christmas in Norway is AWESOME. That really is the best way to describe it. It wasn't a white Christmas, but it was definitely memorable. I think that any Christmas away from home, on a mission or not, is something that is remembered. It's different being away from home, away from family, away from the same traditions through the years. Even though I was halfway around the world, I learned something. We can still have an incredible holiday somewhere else, with other people, doing different things. Through all of the changes, during this Christmas season, I was home, with family, celebrating with many traditions that I've come to cherish.

I had the incredible opportunity to be at home here. The church here in Fredrikstad is amazing. They help me feel at home. They are all family here, related or not, we are all a family here. They just accept everyone and love them as if they've known you their entire lives. This ward made a Christmas away from home feel like a special Christmas at home. I'm really grateful for all they have done for me here.

It ended up snowing yesterday! The snow is everywhere now. Now it feels like Winter. We've been walking in a Winter wonderland the last two days. It's been a nice change. Instead of being rainy all of the time, it's just cloudy and white. It's great that I love the snow!
A picture of the river outside of our house.
This previous week was full of dinner appointments and Christmas celebrations. I have to say, everyone in this ward knows how to make some delicious food. I haven't gone home hungry ever here. It's been incredible. Great food. Even more amazing people. All of which was during my favorite part of the year!

I got to Skype my family on Christmas. It was really great to talk with them, share a ton of laughs, and spend some time together as a family. I loved talking with them and seeing how all of them were doing.

The holiday season is an opportunity for all of us to spend more time with each other, enjoying the company, and creating more memories. I love the words to the Christmas song, "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year". One part that sticks out to me is "There'll be scary ghost stories and tales of the glories of Christmases long, long ago". I love it because I love getting to reminisce during this time of year of all of the fun times I've had throughout the years. We have a great opportunity to share stories, make memories, and enjoy being with each other during this time of year. I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and I wish you all a Happy New Year!

Love,

Elder Mickelson
Me with a cat I found by our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment