Monday, November 7, 2016

A "Shocking" Experience

November 7, 2016

Hello Everyone!

Wow. This week. Where to even begin. Well, I think this week's email would be great to start off with one of the most shocking experiences I've had yet. Well, maybe electrifying is a more appropriate way to describe it.

We were changing light bulbs in our apartment because about half of them were burned out and needed replacing. There's like no need for them in the Summer because it's sunny 24/7, but with Winter rolling around and it getting dark by 3:00 pm, and in the dead of Winter there is no snow, you start to realize really quickly which bulbs ought to be working.

We had this one light which should have been dangling from the ceiling, but it had fallen months ago, breaking the bulb, and the cord came down with it. I'd consider it as more of a free-range light. Anyways, with buying new lights, and taking the liberty to fix this one, I replaced the bulb, plugged it in and it worked! Now we just need to get it connected to the ceiling. So I unscrewed the light bulb, and while moving the light bulb and the socket to a different spot, I managed to stick my finger in the socket.

It doesn't take a genius to know that touching the metal inside a socket while plugged in will certainly shock you! Some people have to just do it once to learn their lesson. *cough* *cough* *me*

I know understand why people getting shocked with a taser fall to the ground, because it hurts and that's the first thing you do. Fall. So, I hit the ground, drop the bulb and the socket, and I just start running throughout the room, into the hallway, yelling and a screaming, words a flying. I nearly was swearing in two different languages! It didn't feel too good to say the least. I got by the door and had nowhere to run so I checked my vitals, realized I was still breathing, could feel my entire body, and in being electrocuted, I didn't poop my pants. I'd call that a success!

That's one way to wake someone up. I sure felt a little bit more energetic through the rest of the day!

This week we also were extremely busy delivering some newsletters around for the branch. And, with any great trip, comes a great story.

Us walking home after the
school bus wouldn't pick us up.
To say the least, in Norway, everyone lives far away from each other. And we decided to bus out to an area, and work from the farthest family out, in towards the city. We had all of the bus times and everything down, all in place. Ya, come to find out, some buses listed that you can supposedly ride, are school buses. People not students can't really ride school buses. So after waiting for the bus which never came, and realizing it was getting dark, and cold, we had no other option than to start walking. Three miles later (an hour walk) we reached bus stop we needed to catch our way home. I guess what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

The Trondheim missionaries got to stay with us one night this week while in transit to Narvik. I guess when there isn't too many flights going somewhere so small, it makes connecting flights more difficult. So they got to stay for a night.

For those who like the Northern lights, it went crazy one night this week. While getting into bed, I looked out the window, and there was nothing. I adjusted my dyne (I think it's called a duvet in the states) for 5 seconds, got into bed, and looked out the window. And there's was this GIANT green thing in the sky dancing around. It proceeded to do that for like a half hour. Always a good time.

Northern lights on the night 
it went crazy dancing.


Moves call was yesterday and I'll be staying in Bodø for another transfer! I was really excited to stay. I love it here and everyone here is so wonderful!

Well I hope you all have a wonderful week. Keep on keepin on!

Sincerely,

Elder Mickelson

"I would that ye should impart of your substance to the poor, every man according to that which he hath, such as feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and administering to their relief, both spiritually and temporally, according to their wants." -Mosiah 4:26


Let's all take care of those around us!



We slow cooked a pork roast for 24 hours and made some 
pulled pork out of it with some homemade barbecue sauce. 
Needless to say, some of the best food I've made yet on my mission!



No comments:

Post a Comment